We encourage the involvement of motivated individuals who are seeking service-learning opportunities. SW offers internships and also welcomes high school students looking to earn volunteer hours. See below for details on these opportunities.
INTERNSHIPS & COMMUNITY SERVICE
INTERNSHIPS WITH SW
SW offers internship opportunity for motivated students seeking service-learning opportunities. Interns support SW efforts with website maintence, written marketing materials, and event planning. Students must have professors of IT, Journalism, Marketing, Communications, Fashion, or Non-Profit direct your internship and communicate with SW executive members on your participation, requirements and work. While working with SW you will develop professional communication written/verbal, including event-planning skills, garment care/inventory, and military/veteran terminology, organizations and services.
The internship is ideal for students wishing to gain leadership experience through volunteerism, nonprofit development and operations or fashion. Work hours include event organization, publicity, social media, organizing volunteers, and research. Interns will have split time to work between the SW office and at home.
HIGH SCHOOL OPPORTUNITIES
Students that live near our Wilmington, Delaware office are welcome to earn their volunteer hours with SW. Volunteer opportunities include assisting with organizing new garment inventory for events, package merchandise for events and shipping, loading and unloading Mobile Suiting Unit (MSU) for events. Learn how to prepare suits for events, take inventory and pack the MSU for an event. Contact us to schedule a time to discuss by filling out our Educator and Student Contact form and submitting it electronically to [email protected].
CURRENT OPENINGS WITH SW
This is a volunteer, internship opportunity or community service opportunity to be selected as a Board Member of SW. This position requires weekly communication with SW CEO. This position is responsible for planning, organizing and directing the volunteer programs of SW.
- Work proactively with CEO to provide accurate information and assistance to volunteers.
- Organizes, coordinates, and manages the recruitment and scheduling of volunteers for the board, and various committees.
- Maintains updated records on all volunteers and arrange orientation, training and event support.
- Develop, promote, maintain a volunteer service description for each opportunity.
- Sets up and attends volunteer meetings.
- Recommends and develops ongoing volunteer utilization to SW operations, events or development and confer with their interests.
- Implements a volunteer recognition program.
- Act as a single point of contact for volunteer communications.
- Works with social, civic and local organizations to develop partnerships, where appropriate, to develop and/or utilize volunteers.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Collaboration Skills.
- Organizational Skills.
- Presentation Skills.
- Teamwork Orientation.
- Technical Capacity.
- Time Management.
This position has no direct staff supervisory responsibilities, but does supervise the entire volunteer force. For an internship, supervisory will apply in accordance with course structure.
This role operates at home. If this is for an internship, at least 50% of your required hours will be at our office in Wilmington, Delaware. This position routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers/scanners, and filing cabinets. Expected hours of work are flexible according to the tasks needed to complete. We estimate 2-3 hours a week for SW activities and may be more during event planning times. Travel is local only to our office unless you decide to attend an event.
College student or higher.